Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mobbed by school kids!

Don't panic....it was a friendly mobbing. We needed to go on a 'Target' run today (or at least the equivalent) for some personal supplies. As we waited for our driver outside the client's office, there were a few kids in school uniforms talking to the guys. I walked up and decided to offer them a sucker. First it was 2 or 3 kids, then 3 or 4 more, then one of the boys yelled something in Swahili and the next thing I know HOLY COW the whole school was surrounding me with their hands out for a sucker. Communication is alive and well on the dirt roads of Mwanza.

It was chaos because I couldn't get them out fast enough. I finally had to say no more and instead offered them high fives. Most seemed to be happy with that, thank goodness.

We ran our errands and visited the local market area. Emmanuel finally admitted his suitcase was too small and broke down to buy a duffle bag. I think he finallygot tired of paying to get laundry done and then rolling his nicely folded shirts into the size of a deck of cards.

Tomorrow we are visiting one of the ag partners and then wrapping up our work in Mwanza. Thursday we fly to Kilomanjaro for our safari. YIPPPPEEEE!!!!! I can't wait.

Sante san (thanks a bunch) for prayers. I'm feeling a little better each day.

Love,

Jen

No comments: