Thursday, September 27, 2007

Definitely not in Tulsa

My two weeks in Jakarta is coming to an end. I've certainly enjoyed the experience, but I have my bags packed and I'm ready for the long trip home. The driver from the hotel just called to find out what time my flight leaves to determine when to leave for the airport. My flight leaves tomorrow night at 10pm. If I were in Tulsa, I would leave for the airport about 8:30 and have plenty of time. But, I'm definitely not in Tulsa!! The driver said we need to leave by 6pm as traffic will be worse than usual (hard to believe) because it's Friday night. One of our clients told me it took her 3 1/2 hours to get home from the airport once during heavy traffic. She said it's a 40 minute trip if no traffic. WOW! I just know I don't want to miss my flight.

My team of 3 plus Jon's wife went to an interesting little place tonight that's just across the street from the hotel. It's a serious/cheesy karoke place...not a bar. I thought it was going to be like an open room and various people singing when it was their turn. This place had many small rooms set up for Karoke. So after spending the last 2 weeks in a conference room with these guys, I was subjected to another small room listening to them belt out their best Frank Sinatra, U2, Beatles. I think Jon's wife won the Female Vocalist of the Night award. My excuse was my cold...I really do sound good when I'm in the car BY MYSELF! The cheesy videos that played with the lyrics had nothing to do with the songs and the lyrics had some interesting translations. It was entertaining, that's for sure. And, a real bargain...$12.

I've spent my millions (1 USD = about 9000 Rupia) and I'm ready to go. John will be traveling to Highpoint, NC during the 6 days that I'm at home before I leave for Africa. That's just the way it worked out. But, as luck would have it, we will both be in the DFW airport on Saturday morning at the same time. We'll get to see each other for about 2 hours as long as my flight from Tokyo isn't delayed. Nothing like a hot date in the B terminal! I'm not complaining though.

Thanks for the notes and prayers. I miss my family & friends and will talk to you when I get home.
Love,
jen

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Have a safe trip home Jen!!
The Rockies are on a winning streak and are trying to get to the playoffs. I am going to the game tonight. They are having a fireworks display after the game and the weather is perfect. The trees are starting to change so the next couple of weeks will be nice here.
Have a great weekend.

Susan said...

I finally figured out how to leave a comment when I scrolled past your sign off. Welcome back. I'll look forward to hearing more about the trip next week when you are settled.