The other team of three arrived in Jakarta over the weekend while my team was in Bali & Singapore. They are doing a project for the same agency but their focus is on tracking the national employees that actually do the program work (provide aid). They started their project out in India before coming to Indonesia. Their team brings even more diversity to the goup. Ryan is a BIG guy from Washington DC. He played college football as a lineman. Jay is originally from India but now lives in upstate New York and Emmanuel lives in Pennsylvania but is Puerto Rican. Add those three to the mix of my team (Wyoming girl, lad from England and Chinese kid)...makes for some interesting dinner conversations! They are all awesome people and will be traveling with us to Nigeria and Tanzania. I think the diversity of our teams represent what we are seeing on the road. It's good to step out of your comfort zone and get to know other people that are different. You learn they really aren't that different after all.
We discovered the hotel has a pool table in the basement lounge area. The place had nobody there, so we challenged Ryan's team to a friendly pool tournament. This was Jay's first time ever playing pool. He got really excited when he made a shot. I didn't think we had any pool sharks in the group, but Jon (UK) emerged as a closet pool shark from his college days. We were quite glad to have him on our team. The pool tourney was a nice diversion to our busy days at the office. However, the consensus is we need to keep our day jobs. Jon's wife returned from Singapore tonight. I'm glad to have her back to add another female to the mix. She's a sweetie. I caught a cold this weekend, so I need to get some rest. I've really enjoyed the experience here in Jakarta, but I'm looking forward to heading back to OK Friday night.
I got a taste of home the other day after returning from the scuba trip. I turned on ESPN and the OU vs. Tulsa game was on. Very cool... Every other channel was in a language I didn't understand, so the football game was a treat. Good night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi..Have certainly enjoyed reading about your adventures and meeting the new team members. Very surprised you were able to tune into the OU and Tulsa game. Thank goodness you missed the Bronco and Jaguar(whatever), not a pretty sight. This weekend it's the Colts YIKES!!!
You are in our prayers....
Hi Jen,
i agree with your Mom, enjoy reading about your adventures.
The game Sunday was a flop for sure and this weekend will probably be worse against the Colts lets hope Peyton Manning has a bad day. Fall is defianately in the air but i love this time of year. I bet you will be anxious to get home.
Post a Comment